Moot courts are simulated court competitions which involve arguing on points of law by student ‘advocates’ before a bench of ‘judges’ usually comprising of members of the faculty and practicing advocates. CLC lays emphasis on this activity to equip students for their future profession and to imbibe the ‘mooting culture’ in all the students. The moot court activity in CLC begins with a Demo Moot whereby all the prospective participants are guided about preparation and presentation of their cases before the judges. After this, the Fresher’s Moot and Common Induction Moot is organized for membership to the Moot Court Society. This is followed by the flagship event of CLC, the “K.K. Luthra Memorial Moot Court Competition” which is organized on an international event. Apart from these activities, the Moot Court Society also assists the selected students in their preparation to represent the College at various national and international moot court competitions organized by different law colleges all over India
Various Moot Court Activities at CLC
COMMON INTRODUCTION MOOT (CIM)
“Come one, Come All. Grab the Golden Chance”- that is the ideology behind the Common Induction Moot, which is one of the avenues for entrance into the most coveted society in CLC. This is an opportunity not only for fresher’s but also for the senior batches to become a member of the MCS. Last year the CIM was held on 26th September, 2015.
The problem was based on criminal law, with special focus on domestic violence, private defence and reliability of the evidences. The competition was judged by bench of judges comprising esteemed faculty members. The competition saw cut throat competition, where even a minute difference in total scores led to students making it or missing the opportunity.
FRESHER’S INTRODUCTION MOOT (FIM)
The fresh batch of students gets their second chance to enter the MCS through the Fresher’s Induction Moot, which was held last year on 3rd October, 2015. This moot was exclusively for the first year students. The moot problem was based on law of contract, with special focus on breach of contract. The FIM was judged by the bench of judges comprising of esteemed alumni of CLC.
12TH K.K. LUTHRA MEMORIAL MOOT COURT COMPETITION, 2016
The K.K. Luthra Memorial Moot Court Competition is held at the Campus Law Centre (CLC), every year, during the third weekend of January. This exclusive International Moot Court Competition in Criminal Law is held in India, since 2005, in the memory of late Shri K.K. Luthra, Senior Advocate, an eminent criminal lawyer, whose legal career spanned from 1949 till his demise in 1997. 12th K.K. Luthra Memorial Moot Court Competition was inaugurated on 15th January, 2016 at CLC. Prof. (Dr.) UshaTandon, Professor-in- Charge, Campus law centre,welcomed the Guest of Honour Mr. P. K. Malhotra, Secretary, Ministry of Law & Justice, Department of Legal Affairs; the Chief Guest Hon’ble Mr. Justice Prafulla C. Pant; Prof. (Dr.) Ashwani Kumar Bansal, Professor & Dean, Faculty of Law and other dignitaries. The inaugural function saw the presence of many eminent personalities including Mrs. Maneka Sanjay Gandhi, Hon’ble Union Cabinet Minister, Women & Child Development and Ms. Pinki Anand, Senior Advocate & Additional Solicitor General of India. In the end Mr. Sidharth Luthra, Senior Advocate & Formerly Additional Solicitor General of India, delivered a vote of thanks, which was then followed by High Tea.
The 12th K.K. Luthra Memorial Moot Court Competition saw participation from across the globe. Fifty teams participated in the competition including international teams from the United States, United Kingdoms, Indonesia, Sri Lanka and Pakistan.
The Moot Court Competition was based on Criminal and Constitutional Law. The competition consisted of five rounds. The preliminary, Octa-Finals and Quarter-Final rounds were held in the CLC and were judged by advocates and senior advocates of Delhi High Court. The semi-finals and the final rounds were held at the India Habitat Centre. The final rounds were judged by the illustrated bench of Hon’ble Mr. Justice S. Ravindra Bhat, Hon’ble Mr. Justice Ashutosh Kumar and Hon’ble Ms. Justice Sangita Dhingra Sehgal of Delhi High Court. NLSIU, Bangalore won the competition and was also awarded for the best memorial. George Washington University, U.S.A. was the runners up. Ms. Priyanka Sanjay, National Law University, Jodhpur won the best speaker’s award, while Naveed Ahma, Rajiv Gandhi National Law University of Law, Patiala was awarded second position for the best speaker.
The Valedictory Function and the Prize Distribution Ceremony was held on 17th January, 2016 at 4.00 p.m., at the Silver Oak, India Habitat Centre. Prof. (Dr.) Usha Tandon welcomed the Chief Guest, Hon’ble Mr. Justice Chelameswar and other dignitaries. The Chief Guest, Hon’ble Mr. Justice Chelameswar then addressed the gathering. His address was followed by vote of thanks by Mr.Sidharth Luthra.
CLC TEAMS AT VARIOUS COMPETITIONS
The Members of the Moot Court Society participated in 32 National as well as International Moots. The following are the students who represented the CLC at various platforms outside the college and won laurels for the institution:
- “Winners” at 4th NALSAR NFCG National Corporate Law Moot Court Competition, 2015
- “Runner’s Up” At 3rd KIIT National Moot Court Competition, 2015
- “Runner’s Up” at 3rd Amity National Moot Court Competition 2015 organized by Amity Law School, Amity University, Jaipur
- “Runner’s Up” at All India USLLS First Year Students’ Moot Court Competition, 2016 organized by University School of Law and Legal Studies (USLLS), GGSIPU
- “Semi-Finalists” at 2nd Justice Dr. B P Saraf National Tax Law Moot, 2016 organized by NUJS, Kolkata
- Quarter Finalists at XII K.K. Luthra Memorial Moot Court Competition 2016 organised by Campus Law Centre, Faculty of Law, University of Delhi
- “2nd Best Memorial Award” at 17th D.M. Harish Memorial Government Law College International Moot Court Competition, 2016 organized by GLC, Mumbai
- Best Advocate” At 3rd KIIT National Moot Court Competition, 2015
- “Quarter-Finalists” at 9th Amity National Moot Court Competition organized by Amity Law School, Lucknow
- “Quarter-Finalists” at 15th Amity National Moot Court Competition organized by Amity Law School (I.P. University)
- “Quarter-Finalists” at 3rd Amity International Moot, Amity Law School-II, Amity University, Noida 2015
- “Quarter-Finalists” at 5th National Moot Court Competition “Checkmate” held at Army Institute of Law
- “Quarter-Finalists” at Dr. D.Y. Patil Law College Moot Court Competition